Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Cost of Working Outside the Home

People are often surprised to find out how much working outside the home actually costs. There are two costs involved (besides time, energy, emotional toil, etc.) with an outside job--actual money spent, and less time to save money.

Some costs to consider:

  • Child care--probably one of the highest.
  • Gas

  • Wardrobe
  • Lunches
  • Business-related supplies/expenses not covered by company
  • Snacks
  • More frequent shopping due to convenience
  • Expense of eating out/convenience food due to lack of time
  • Other suggestions?

    Since I've come home, I'm amazed at the opportunities to save money. It has kind of become a sport, and I view it a very important part of my job.

    Shopping sales (food, clothing, etc.), less shopping altogether, time to make homemade gifts, and my favorite, time to make money running an on-line business!

No comments: